1994-04-29 - Re: Cypherpunks as lobbying/propagandizing group

Header Data

From: “Jim Sewell” <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ff0e82092043bd1c51a19e5c50c74f12f2ca7d0dc34652b159962a511c880460
Message ID: <9404291331.AA07605@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Reply To: <9404291340.AA29015@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-29 13:32:02 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 06:32:02 PDT

Raw message

From: "Jim Sewell" <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 06:32:02 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks as lobbying/propagandizing group

<In mail Paul Ferguson said:>
> Dave Mandl <dmandl@panix.com> writes -
>

> > I think this is a very bad idea and not the purpose of the cypherpunks list.
> >

> Ditto. Leave the political battles to those with more (desired)
> visibilty (ie, EFF, CPSR, SEA).

  I replied to Dave via mail but it may warrant a public clarification.

  My intent is not to form a group to go lobby congress or anything of
  that nature.  My idea was to create a list of "credentials" for the
  group as a whole so that when active folks do go to the press or to
  meetings between CPSR & the NSA then they can have in their hands a
  bit of "proof" that we aren't the computer-student-woodstock-wannabes
  the NSA et al. say we are.

  Remember the E.F. Hutton commercials where a guy is asked for investment
  advice and he says "My broker is EF Hutton and EF Hutton says..." and
  everyone in the room gets quiet and leans over to hear the advice?  That
  is what the Cypherpunks name doesn't have... respect.

  Your comments, either for or against, are appreciated and counted.  They
  will be used to help me see if there is sufficient interest in my opinion
  to warrant trying to organize such a thing.  Right now it's slightly in
  favor but there are too few replies to be fair either way.

  Jim
--
 Tantalus Inc.          Jim Sewell      Amateur Radio: KD4CKQ
 P.O. Box 2310          Programmer           Internet: jims@mpgn.com

Thread