1994-05-03 - well, I finally broke down.

Header Data

From: Matt Thomlinson <phantom@u.washington.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0c893c8a489faa981612e48f5b7509f56a3b511e8e40b2d1476bad2c27696e03
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9405031311.A11251-0100000@stein1.u.washington.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 May 94 13:57:07 PDT

Raw message

From: Matt Thomlinson <phantom@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 May 94 13:57:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: well, I finally broke down.

I finally broke down and felt guilty enough about not using magic money
that I decided to spend the time and get it.

Funny thing, I can't even follow the simple directions hal posted about
getting ahold of it. No wonder it isn't being used.

-----------

Date: Mon May  2 23:07:00 1994
From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com> <hfinney/daemon>

[...]

How do you actually use Magic Money?

First you get a client program.  ftp to /pub/mpj at ftp.netcom.com to find
a DOS client.  Sources to allow you to build Unix clients can be found at
csn.org by ftp; start in the /mpj directory, read README.MPJ, then cd to
the crypto directory.  cd to pgp_tools, get mgmny10e.zip and pgptl10d.zip.

------------

uh-huh. I went to netcom and didn't see any dos client. again, please?

timestamping services (and other pretty protocols) aren't being used. This
is exactly what I asked a few months ago!

We need to either have or create a use for these tools, or they'll never
be used. I described a simple, simple version of digital timestamping a
few months ago; there was little interest. Reasons? Not much use for
digital timestamps, for one. Also, people were hesitant about stepping on
bellcore's toes.

So what are we to do? I'm not going to spend the < half day it would take
to set up a digital timestamp service if it isn't ever going to be used.

Matt Thomlinson
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.      phone: (206) 548-9804
Check my home page -- ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/phantom/home.html
PGP 2.2 key available via email, or finger phantom@hardy.u.washington.edu

Thread