1994-05-12 - Re: State Dept Response to my second CJ request

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: asherman@i-kinetics.com
Message Hash: 17ad6f65b2804df50baac80dc9ae167ca41dd938b07b20a058d393b91d360e78
Message ID: <199405120134.SAA18449@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9405112204.AA02647@jacobi.i-kinetics.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-12 01:34:49 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 May 94 18:34:49 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 94 18:34:49 PDT
To: asherman@i-kinetics.com
Subject: Re: State Dept Response to my second CJ request

>To this the counter argument would run along the lines of:

>	"Exactly WHAT encryption algorithms, here, are not known and
>	 used, worldwide."

>Is this close to the mark? What holes are there in this case (other
>than the fact that THEY get to make the laws)?

Given that they already allowed the exact same information to be
exported in print form, there is the question of whether it is
constitutional to discriminate on the basis of the medium of
expression. In other words, this case comes pretty close to what
groups like EFF were originally created to protect.

Phil

Thread