1994-05-05 - Re: Anonymous phone calls…

Header Data

From: andreas.elbert@gmd.de
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1d35e6dfbbe5b438eb75da8584dd48af08b6a40880083e2e3d62f62fd6adc68b
Message ID: <9405051955.AB07205@darmstadt.gmd.de>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 May 94 12:56:15 PDT

Raw message

From: andreas.elbert@gmd.de
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 12:56:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous phone calls...

>Maybe in Norway you do, but not here.  The Orange Cards were
>completely anonymous, I think, and there's certainly no reason that a
>card system couldn't be set up that is anonymous if those weren't.

prepaid cards can be set up to work anonymously, sure. Unfortunately, the
one making this decision (the network operator) is more concerned with toll
fraud and usage statistics. E.g. the german telekoms payphone log the time
of a call and the serial number of the prepaid card. (And the only one
reading their publications (and complaining) is the CCC, which has not
quite the right reputation to raise the newspapers attention)

Thread