1994-05-22 - Cantwell Bill Clears Committee

Header Data

From: jmdaluz@kquest.com (Jose M. daLuz)
To: eff-activists@eff.org
Message Hash: 258a29700bb4fdea3eceb2b771a5e42763a70683691ac887ffe6fb82131e49fb
Message ID: <199405222134.RAA09344@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 May 94 14:34:30 PDT

Raw message

From: jmdaluz@kquest.com (Jose M. daLuz)
Date: Sun, 22 May 94 14:34:30 PDT
To: eff-activists@eff.org
Subject: Cantwell Bill Clears Committee

I found this in sci.crypt today.  Does anyone know if a full House vote on
the export bill is the next step here?

In any case, it's definitely time to contact our Reps again and remind them
of the importance of this act.

From: castor@hassle.Stanford.EDU (Castor Fu)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: US Crypto Export controls may weaken -- Cantwell bill clears committee
Date: 21 May 1994 20:15:58 GMT

In the clari.nb.govt  an article (<NB940520.15@clarinet.com>) reports that
Maria Cantwell's (D-WA) amendment to the Export Administration Act
has cleared the House Foreign Affairs committee.

The bill  would turn over responsibility for all non-military crypto  to the
Commerce dept, and that most forms will be exportable without licensing.

For more information on the bill, HR3627, look for Cantwell at

        ftp://ftp.eff.org/pub/EFF/Policy/Legislation/Bills_by_sponsor

Presumably, this means the bill will proceed to a vote before the House.
(Question for US readers: does your rep's position on HR3627 match yours?)

I realize this does not quite meet the "charter" of sci.crypt, but since
it is relevant news, I hope you will forgive the intrusion. I have directed
followups to talk.politics.crypto

        -Castor Fu
--

Jose M. daLuz             KnowledgeQuest Online Research
jmdaluz@kquest.com  (508)996-6101(vox)/(508)996-6215(fax)

Thread