1994-05-06 - Re: Clipper Key Escrow Details

Header Data

From: smb@research.att.com
To: grendel@netaxs.com (Michael Brandt Handler)
Message Hash: 259d56d0a6d170959ba1ea922e02d60b4b9385550a7f79d97430c365e31ba913
Message ID: <9405061148.AA06293@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 May 94 04:48:40 PDT

Raw message

From: smb@research.att.com
Date: Fri, 6 May 94 04:48:40 PDT
To: grendel@netaxs.com (Michael Brandt Handler)
Subject: Re: Clipper Key Escrow Details

	 Regarding the Clipper Key Escrow scheme:

	 	[1] Who has the ability to submit a warrant and request the key
	 data from the two controlling government agencies? Do you have to be a
	 Federal organization? Local? State? Could the Lower Merion Police
	 Department (from Lower Merion, PA, technically where I live) attempt to
	 obtain my escrowed key parts if they had a valid reason (and the
	 knowledge / equipment to use it)?

Anyone who has the right to do a wiretap under both Federal and state law.
That would include local police departments in very many states.

	 	[2] What is to stop someone, once they have my escrowed key
	data, from archiving it for later use? Do the federal agencies in
	charge have any protocols or controls or protections against this?

Nothing that I know of, though that's not certain.  Decryptions will
be done by a magic decode box; in theory, at least, the downloaded
key -- which will be Skipjack-encrypted -- could be accompanied by
a time-to-live field.  Last I heard, the decoder boxes hadn't been
completely designed yet.

Thread