1994-05-03 - Re: Digital Cash

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@snark.imsi.com>
To: cypher <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 26bb0cd63a8d14311f9f80cf4819e44ef4071dc043e2be5c4041dab3b9845768
Message ID: <9405031319.AA28418@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9405030610.aa22247@deeptht.armory.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-03 13:19:54 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 May 94 06:19:54 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 94 06:19:54 PDT
To: cypher <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Digital Cash

Jeff Davis says:

> > But this question comes up often enough that I'm afraid I'm missing
> > something.  Why would offline systems be more useful?
>
> Anonymity.

Online systems are also guaranteed anonymous. The whole point of
offline transactions is just to eliminate the need to be online, which
can be inconvenient -- as an example, if you are trying to buy
something on a streetcorner or otherwise away from telecom. In the
future, this will not be so much of a problem. For the moment its
quite interesting.

Perry

Thread