1994-05-04 - Re: TLAs, etc.

Header Data

From: juola@bruno.cs.colorado.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 298aca80ec0ffc31915f739ff3ec19acfe7e61c05fc7539a6ec74f2abaa72f4e
Message ID: <199405041619.KAA22249@bruno.cs.colorado.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 May 94 09:23:11 PDT

Raw message

From: juola@bruno.cs.colorado.edu
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 09:23:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TLAs, etc.

  Actually, we might try inviting such prosecution -- e.g., with each of us
  posting source code for some algorithm to the list.  This is so clearly
  publication (ala newsletters on paper) that the case would never hold but
  it wouldn't hurt to have a court rule.

I wish I had your faith in the court system -- or perhaps I'm glad I
don't.  Either way, the fact that you and I and everyone on cypherpunks
thinks that posting code to a private mailing list is "publication"
means exactly nothing in court, any more than it would be if I made
a huge conference call to everyone on cypherpunks to conspire to evade
the ITAR regulations.

	- kitten

Thread