1994-05-13 - Re: BOYCOTT AT&T

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: johnkc@well.sf.ca.us (John K Clark)
Message Hash: 2a359b88b49318c13d749efa7d20c248c8daf0dd078a34f5cb30037a75b473cd
Message ID: <199405131714.KAA25753@netcom.com>
Reply To: <199405131541.IAA24220@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-13 17:17:33 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 May 94 10:17:33 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 13 May 94 10:17:33 PDT
To: johnkc@well.sf.ca.us (John K Clark)
Subject: Re: BOYCOTT AT&T

John Clark writes:

> I think it's important for company's to realize there is also a
> downside for supporting Clipper. As a start ,I don't see how any
> self respecting Cypherpunk or Extropian could use AT&T as their
> personal long distance carrier . AT&T 's not the only company in
> bed with the government over Clipper (INTEL) but it is the most
                                       ^^^^^^^
> visible and the easiest to boycott, MCI and Sprint do a fine
> job. If  5% of the Internet users quit AT&T it would make other
> companies think twice before they endorse Clipper.

Intel in bed with the government over Clipper? While Intel may own
10-20% of VLSI Technology Inc. (VTI), it is VTI that is manufacturing
the MYK-78 and related chips for Mykotronx.

A year ago, I talked to the guy who hired me into Intel in 1974, Craig
Barrett (who is about to take over Andy Grove's job as President), and
informed him of VTI's crummy role in the Clipper deal. I suggested to
him that any Intel involvement in Clipper would not help Intel's image
amongst computer types. Craig was uncommunicative on this--I got the
impression he had no idea what I was talking about.

This doesn't mean Intel is not involved, of course, but surely the
main culprits are Mykotronx, VTI, and AT&T. Intel gets enough bad
press as it is not to be further tarred with the brush of Clipper.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero