1994-05-19 - Re: Mosaic to support digital money in September

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: 3477c66d15a3031d1da80f070d0ecd4f888dcc460ac0a653e9e00779a9c45837
Message ID: <199405191748.KAA14498@netcom.com>
Reply To: <199405191613.JAA11739@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-19 17:48:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 May 94 10:48:54 PDT

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 10:48:54 PDT
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Mosaic to support digital money in September

Hal writes
I wrote:
> > and each digital token currency requires a single
> > centralized server which tends to monopoly and is thus
> > highly vulnerable to government coercion.

> The digital cash systems we have been experimenting with do not know
> "how much the client got, and how much he spent."  There is nothing stopping
> a given holder of Magic Money cash from being anonymous to the bank.  He
> does not have an "account" with the bank.  (The structure of the client
> interface is somewhat misleading in this regard - the user has to go
> through an initialization step in which he communicates with the bank, and
> it might appear that he is in some sense registering or opening an account.
> Actually, he is just grabbing an information packet which shows the current
> exponent-to-cash-value mapping.)

I stand corrected.  On reflection I see that if I receive digital tokens
to my true name, I can pass them anonymously to a pseudonym registered
in the Cayman islands, and the server will only know that the pseudonym
received them.

It will not know that my true name received them.  The pseudonym can
then pass new digital tokens to my true name without the server
knowing.

This system is indeed secure, but only if widely used (mature).

It is not clear to me that it is capable of competing with insecure
account based digital money.

Since US banks will only be permitted to issue account based money
(digital checks) and Swiss banks etc will probably issue primarily
account based money at first, it will be necessary to have an
interface between digital token based money and account based money.

If both are used, as we hope will happen, what then will be the
competitive advantage of digital tokens?

One advantage is that it is not necessary for the shopkeeper to
know the customers worth or identity, or to check with the customers
bank.  But the shopkeeper, when dealing with an anonymous customer,
still has to check with the server to see if the coins have already
been used, so this advantage is no advantage at all.

Any other advantages?

                   |  We have the right to defend ourselves and our
James A. Donald    |  property, because of the kind of animals that we
                   |  are.  True law derives from this right, not from
jamesd@netcom.com  |  the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

Thread