1994-05-04 - The ITARs

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@snark.imsi.com>
To: Jim_Miller@bilbo.suite.com
Message Hash: 4cc2916f6c57577fe6f813bd63af7d5b0f1682c29e7f1dbd228f05511df4448e
Message ID: <9405041110.AA01123@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9405040314.AA08217@bilbo.suite.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-04 11:11:52 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 May 94 04:11:52 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 04:11:52 PDT
To: Jim_Miller@bilbo.suite.com
Subject: The ITARs

Jim Miller says:
> Section #120.9 of the ITAR defines "Defense Service" as:
>
>   (1) The furnishing of assistance (including training) to foreign
> persons, whether in the United States or abroad in the design,
> development, engineering, manufacture, production, assembly, testing,
> repair, maintenance, modification, operation, demilitarization,
> destruction, processing, or use of defense articles; or
>   (2) The furnishing to foreign persons of any technical data
> controlled under this subchapter (see #120.10), whether in the United
> States or abroad.

This is sick. According to this, I cannot teach foreigners about
cryptography in the U.S. -- even about the open literature. This is a
grotesque denial of my first amendment rights.

I wonder if I should hold an open enrollment cryptography class for
the sake of civil disobediance.

Perry

Thread