1994-05-17 - Re: pgp 2.6 stupidity

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 5664519aa04c23b23307b368fdf1fcf07259a8966dd2d1b7d5ed93424c215749
Message ID: <199405170131.AA25051@access1.digex.net>
Reply To: <9405161910.AA01195@bacon.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-17 01:32:14 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 16 May 94 18:32:14 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 18:32:14 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: pgp 2.6 stupidity

[...]

> PGP 2.3a and earlier were not American software -- they were written
> and produced overseas and were IMPORTED into the U.S.
>
> They infringe on no patents or copyrights when used overseas.
>
> Well, I have lots of correspondants overseas, using perfectly legal
> software. They cannot legally use PGP 2.6 -- it isn't exportable.
>
> Therefore, this idiocy will act to cut me off from my overseas
> correspondants. I will not be able to use the current version of PGP
> and still communicate with them. I will therefore be forced to use
> older versions -- probably repeatedly patched versions of 2.5.

Perhaps you should consider adopting the more internation and just as
secure Clipper system.

This will eliminate all your hastles and it's freely exportable!

> Perry

-uni- (Dark), who would put a smiley in, but it seems no laughing matter.

--
073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread