1994-05-02 - Re: So, what are we going to do?

Header Data

From: “Jim Sewell” <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6c2a3375fbacd7095cccddec4986b044fa84972c82add17868a204dd80b983af
Message ID: <9405021507.AA09835@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Reply To: <01HBTU38KG6G8WYU0U@VAX1.UMKC.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-02 15:07:42 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 May 94 08:07:42 PDT

Raw message

From: "Jim Sewell" <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Date: Mon, 2 May 94 08:07:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: So, what are we going to do?

<In mail PMARKS@VAX1.UMKC.EDU said:>

> 	Will they come in at midnight, knocking down doors, shouting
> "we have a search warrant to locate illegal cryptography in your
> possession!" and run off with my equipment?

  A friend of mine that repaired computers said he ran across an
  old disk drive that was used in WWII.  The thing had a lever on
  the top that was to be pulled should anyone "burst in" unannounced.
  As a failsafe to protect our secrets the lever was the trigger of
  a mounted .38.

  Are we "good" American citizens going to have to write failsafe boot
  files that require a special combination of keypresses or it erases
  the hard disk?  It would be a shame to have to protect our computers
  from the "thought police" of not Orwell's future, but our present!

  At least opressed countries have governments that break in and take
  your computer and family because they are lowlife dictators and
  admit it.  Here the same lowlife dictator wannabes do it in the name
  of democracy and justice! (Not that I'd like living elsewhere.)

   Jim

--
 Tantalus Inc.          Jim Sewell      Amateur Radio: KD4CKQ
 P.O. Box 2310          Programmer           Internet: jims@mpgn.com

Thread