1994-05-14 - Re: Message Havens, Pools, and Usenet

Header Data

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@an-teallach.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7032ccf59064d101c5617a18ad6d10df9c10524c291588636b60f7315dab268e
Message ID: <199405142237.XAA08350@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 May 94 15:38:35 PDT

Raw message

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@an-teallach.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 94 15:38:35 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Message Havens, Pools, and Usenet

	* Posting to a newsgroups allows piggy-backing on two things:

	1. The world-wide distribution (in most cases) of newsgroups. The
	newsgroups are distributed to zillions of local sites, making
	attempted analysis of who is checking for messages all the more
	difficult.

I think this is the way to go, and I don't think we need special
groups for it either.  Tim, just as an experiment, post a message
to any group you like (except netcom ones!) with 'gtoal' in it
somewhere (innocuously, like in a .sig), and I'll show you how easy
it is to find stuff that's addressed to you.

Of course, anyone else can find it too - you can't hide that the
message was posted, but you certainly can't track who read it.