1994-05-12 - Re: NSA Chief Counsel in Wired, to appear on AOL

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: Richard.Johnson@Colorado.EDU
Message Hash: 7602513a616534d6b6ba0155587231dd9ccc4b4e82a75c36628309b304b7a028
Message ID: <199405122058.NAA25125@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <199405122006.OAA11345@spot.Colorado.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-12 20:59:30 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 May 94 13:59:30 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 94 13:59:30 PDT
To: Richard.Johnson@Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: NSA Chief Counsel in Wired, to appear on AOL

>   What worries law enforcement agencies --what should worry them -- is a
>   world where encryption is standardized and ubiquitous: a world where
>   anyone who buys an US$80 phone gets an "encrypt" button that
>   interoperates with everyone else's; a world where every fax machine
>   and every modem automatically encodes its transmissions without asking
>   whether that is necessary. In such a world, every criminal will gain a
>   guaranteed refuge from the police without lifting a finger.

Well, I guess we now know what our mission is as cypherpunks. :-)

Phil

Thread