1994-05-17 - Re: PGP 2.6 ???

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: dat@ebt.com (David Taffs)
Message Hash: 88cedbd0139cad600c671976582bdcf3755e65fce4bf13c4cfcfe1d25a93849f
Message ID: <199405170116.SAA21306@netcom.com>
Reply To: <9405170010.AA13546@helpmann.ebt.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-17 01:26:43 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 16 May 94 18:26:43 PDT

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 18:26:43 PDT
To: dat@ebt.com (David Taffs)
Subject: Re: PGP 2.6 ???

David Taffs writes

> Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but how can we fight the infrastructure
> battle? I'm sore afraid that our brand of crypto is like trying to
> peddle a new OS to compete with Unix/NT/... -- it just ain't real
> easy to displace a "standard", flawed though it may be...
>
> Any ideas are welcome -- I'm just running a little low now.

Obviously the rest of the world is not going to accept a
standard crippled for the convenience of any one government.

If 2.6 is deliberately incompatible, I predict that it will
fail.  Remember how IBM failed when it tried to change
the PC standard.  Remember the great Apple III flop.

In the unlikely event that "Cypherpunks write code"
then cypherpunks will control the standard.   It really
is that easy.i

Standards are set by good products, not by governments or big
companies..

                   |  We have the right to defend ourselves and our
James A. Donald    |  property, because of the kind of animals that we
                   |  are.  True law derives from this right, not from
jamesd@netcom.com  |  the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

Thread