1994-05-03 - Announcement RE: Lobbying…

Header Data

From: “Jim Sewell” <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 88e35441f4608836989d7c7f3a88c2e727fae11eda1613b2dae3fb402c8feeec
Message ID: <9405031417.AA03772@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Reply To: <199405030604.XAA05362@nunki.usc.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-03 14:17:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 May 94 07:17:57 PDT

Raw message

From: "Jim Sewell" <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 May 94 07:17:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Announcement RE: Lobbying...

<In mail Julietta said:>

> You know.. I wonder with all this bickerig if in fact we CAN agree on the
> fact that we all are opposed to invasions of our privacy via governemnt
> surveillance techniques.. Can we agree on that issue? It seems to me that I
> have heard a consensus on this at least...

  You know, she is right.

  I have gotten about equal amounts of mail for and against the idea of
  a list and the idea for a "Guide to Cypherpunks" if you will.  Each were
  fanatically stated with few exceptions.  Each was unmovable on their
  opinions.

  It is with this that I make the following statement:

	I will not construct a list or attempt to construct a document
	to tell the world what this group is.

	I fully support the creation of such items but do not have the
	patience nor, due to a situation at work, the time to wade thru
	tons of mail and wade thru the flames I've gotten on just an
	initial query.

	If anyone else would like to adopt this project, please contact
	me so I can give you my information.  I will not give out the
	names of those who have responded to me for privacy reasons.
	If you wish to do this, please ask again and I'm sure the ones
	who responded previously will do so again if your effort is
	a serious one.

  I do want to remind those who were afraid of having their names on
  a list that there is a 90% chance that someone in the NSA, FBI, etc
  has done a whois to majordomo and already has your email name which
  is all that I'd suggested in the first place.

  I will continue to do my part to try to influence the running of this
  country.  I am not kicking back with a beer and cigar and saying that
  we can do nothing and I hope it all works out.  We must run our own
  country or our country will run us.

  Good luck to all and no ill will.  (This list is too emotional sometimes
  due to the topics covered.  They are beliefs and not opinions and a
  belief can not be changed by another person like an opinion can.)

  Anyway, take care
	 Jim

	 <No, don't jump for joy... I'm still going to be on the list! :>

--
 Tantalus Inc.          Jim Sewell      Amateur Radio: KD4CKQ
 P.O. Box 2310          Programmer           Internet: jims@mpgn.com

Thread