1994-05-31 - Re: Cypherpunks’ Electronic Book2

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Hayden” <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
To: Gary Jeffers <CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
Message Hash: 8ce5319666ded8b5c4c7f535c811946954fbb42db5b1b8255a5e3117d9b44060
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9405311550.B25780-0100000@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Reply To: <9405311930.AA10172@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-31 20:27:38 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 31 May 94 13:27:38 PDT

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Hayden" <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 13:27:38 PDT
To: Gary Jeffers <CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks' Electronic Book2

On Tue, 31 May 1994, Gary Jeffers wrote:

>    Robert Hayden has volunteered to make the changes in Majordomo & do
> the file handling work. This is the most crucial technical work to be
> done. This will setup the actual mechanics of the CEB. Robert says that
> this is all he has time for. Well, this is a lot! With Eric's per-
> missions, Robert's technical work, a description of how to contribute
> to CEB & possibly some writers' contributions to seed to CEB, I think
> CEB will generate a life of its own.

Let me just make a couple of comments here, and you can decide if what I
can offer is what you need.

I will be putting a low-end workstation online in a couple of weeks
(mid-june).  By the end of june, I should have any bugs in the OS worked
out, a good backup made, and the machine should be ready to do stuff
with (I'm being overly generous on the time, just in case).  This will be
an ethernetted workstation, not SLIPed, so connectivity is no problem.

Now, what I can do is install Majordomo and set up any mailing lists that
are needed.  Eric suggested in private mail that perhaps a series of
regional cypherpunks lists would be helpful for planning of physical
meetings and the like.  I can, of course, also set up lists for the CEB
project.  Each list will have its own administrator that IS NOT me :-)

Majordomo also appears (I havn't fully groked it yet) to support file
archives using a 'get' parameter, so any files that are produced can be
made available via the same software, or some other software if it
becomes available.  I can help with the setup of the software as well.

I _am not_ willing to administrate the CEB, though.  I know that in the
near future I just wouldn't have time.  Besides, I've got a book that was
due last week (got a month reprieve :-) and two more that I am working
on, and that is enough playing editor for any man's sanity.  This, coupled
with my new admin job working for the city, just kills my free time.

I may (maybe) be able to make an account available to the editor, but the
machine itself is not very capable beyond the above, so you wouldn't be
getting much out of it except a platform to hack from :-)

Assuming no problems, I shoudl have everything ready to go with the above
in about a month, perhaps a little less.

Let me know if that would work.

____        Robert A. Hayden       <=> hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu
 \/  /  Finger for Geek Code Info  <=> I do not necessarily speak for the
   \/   Finger for PGP Public Key  <=> City of Mankato or Blue Earth County
(GEEK CODE 1.0.1)  GAT d- -p+(---) c++(++++) l++ u++ e+/* m++(*)@ s-/++

Thread