1994-05-16 - Re: PGP 2.5 Beta Release Over, PGP 2.6 to be released next week

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: paul@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com (Paul Ferguson)
Message Hash: 993c18a8129881230ff5773eb9b110980351e0b87b7d21d807a6500892fb3bcc
Message ID: <9405161856.AA27870@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9405161952.AA27828@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-16 18:56:27 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 16 May 94 11:56:27 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 11:56:27 PDT
To: paul@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com (Paul Ferguson)
Subject: Re: PGP 2.5 Beta Release Over, PGP 2.6 to be released next week

Paul Ferguson says:
> > In order  to   fully protect  RSADSI's intellectual  property  rights in
> > public-key technology, PGP 2.6 will be designed so  that the messages it
> > creates after September 1,  1994 will be  unreadable by earlier versions
> > of PGP that infringe patents licensed exclusively to Public Key Partners
> > by MIT and Stanford University. PGP 2.6 will continue to be able to read
> > messages generated by those earlier versions.
> >

> I suppose that it (also) will not allow upgrade inclusion of a secret
> key created with these previous versions? If not, I can't imagine
> many folks will be rushing to upgrade to 2.6.

Besides, since 2.5 is legal, and doesn't have this "feature", and can
be fixed by people at will, I suspect that no one will see any reason
to use 2.6...

Perry

Thread