1994-05-19 - Re: Forward of alt.security.pgp message

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: unicorn@access.digex.net
Message Hash: b4fadce599e415b8c83e311466bceca106fffd105e03284145a40a6745243e56
Message ID: <m0q4EVj-000IEKC@crynwr>
Reply To: <199405191321.AA13157@access1.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-19 21:32:40 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 May 94 14:32:40 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 14:32:40 PDT
To: unicorn@access.digex.net
Subject: Re: Forward of alt.security.pgp message

In article <strnlghtCpzCqo.Jzr@netcom.com>, David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com> wrote:

   Putting it another way, I can't get an RSA Certificate without passing a
   number of tests of my identity--for the Unaffiliated User Heirarchy that
   involves proving to a Notary Public I'm me, with 3 pieces of ID including a
   photo ID, and making that assertion under penalty of perjury.

So?  Don't sign anyone's PGP key unless they've proved to a Notary
Public they're them, with 3 pieces of ID including a photo ID, making
that assertion under penalty of perjury.

Tell everyone that that's your level of certification.  If people
have reason to believe you, you'll gain reputation and trust.

You put too much trust in "the authorities", David.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>      ftp.msen.com:pub/vendor/crynwr/crynwr.wav
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)    | Quakers do it in the light
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.

Thread