1994-05-11 - Re: Here they come…

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bf884e24e776b6239018c6b57ec694a94b6a5b312319e42dcefea48a67c4eb67
Message ID: <199405111733.KAA13298@netcom.com>
Reply To: <9405111720.AA19586@werner.mc.ab.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-11 17:33:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 May 94 10:33:45 PDT

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Wed, 11 May 94 10:33:45 PDT
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Here they come...

> At my company, it is considered to be sexual harrassment if a female finds
> out that I have a pornographic gif on my computer, even if I never display
> it.  Apparently, just the knowledge that this material exists creates a
> "hostile" environment.

Does the GIF have to portray a person of the female persuasion in order
for the "hostile" environment to be created, or will any sexually
oriented image suffice?

> I have heard that in Canada it is already illegal to even possess drawings
> or stories that depict pedophilia.

Yes, the Canadians are way ahead of us in the area of censorship.  In
addition to drawings and stories, anything which suggests that sexual
relationships between adults and minors are not always harmful is also
prohibited by law.  If you do a piece of scientific research on
intergenerational relationships, it can only be published in Canada if it
concludes such relationships are harmful.  One sex study which came to
the "wrong" conclusion has already been banned by the Canadian government.

> I am sure that many Americans would have no objection to similar laws.

I would make that "most Americans".  But only after they finish their
current crusade to bring back flogging. :)

--
     Mike Duvos         $    PGP 2.3a Public Key available    $
     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread