1994-05-12 - Re: PGP 2.5 available from Electronic Frontier Foundation ftp site

Header Data

From: SINCLAIR DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c65206ce4e3c2fffb086f2ed73e63d94668c6dde8a3aad296c9d0ef71aad7aa9
Message ID: <94May12.113316edt.13421@cannon.ecf.toronto.edu>
Reply To: <199405121526.IAA14160@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-12 15:33:30 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 May 94 08:33:30 PDT

Raw message

From: SINCLAIR  DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 94 08:33:30 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP 2.5 available from Electronic Frontier Foundation ftp site

> I was under the impression that NAFTA is the reason that Canada is
> included.  Am I misinformed?  If NAFTA is the reason, isn't Mexico
> equivalent to Canada in this context?  Could someone clarify this
> aspect of the export situation, or perhaps point me at a document that
> explains the situation?
>
> 			Zeke
I believe not.  The ITAR regulations have been around for a lot longer
than NAFTA.

I would speculate that it is because the US and Canada have traditionally
exchanged a lot of military technology and hardware, e.g. NORAD.

Thread