1994-05-15 - MacPGP ease of use

Header Data

From: cdodhner@indirect.com (Christian D. Odhner)
To: unicorn@access.digex.net
Message Hash: cf50a230256549d2a5e9b672ffbb2558bb5d85bcc95ac1377ae97b686ea6af05
Message ID: <INUrjepAkjZ1064yn@indirect.com>
Reply To: <199405150044.AA16061@access2.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-15 12:20:09 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 15 May 94 05:20:09 PDT

Raw message

From: cdodhner@indirect.com (Christian D. Odhner)
Date: Sun, 15 May 94 05:20:09 PDT
To: unicorn@access.digex.net
Subject: MacPGP ease of use

> Regardless, the greater problem is transparency of operation.
> Once that is accomplished, it will be a trivial matter for forged usenet
> posts to be rebuked by readers realtime.

I was talking to a definite non-cypherpunk friend of mine
today, and he and I came up with something that might help
some Mac users with pgp... The way we were thinking about it
is that in your pgp directory, er, folder, you would have
several Icons in adition to pgp it'sself. One would be a
picture of a lock, with the name "encrypt" and to encrypt a
file you simply "pick up" the file and "drag" it over to
"drop" it on the encrypt icon. Poof, encrypted file is
produced (sure it would ask for passwords and stuff, and it
would ask first who to encrypt it to, with the users own
pubkey the default. Another Icon would be a picture of a key
with the word decrypt, any cyphertext file droped on it
would be decrypted. Another one would be a picture of a
fountain pen with the name 'sign', yet another would be a
magnifying glass over a piece of paper to 'examine sig' or
whatever (yes you nit-pickers, I know that functionaly the
decrypt and the sig check are like identicle, but the users
have a hard time understanding that sometimes.) The point is
that someone with some knowledge of macintosh programing
hopefully can create what in unix would be a link to the pgp
program, whereby it would just call pgp with certain options
enabled depending on what name you called it under...

Happy Hunting, -Chris
Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
cdodhner @ indirect.com      | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11
 A government mandante for key-escrow encryption in all communication
 devices would be the information-age equivalent of the government requiring
 private citizens to quarter troups in their home.

 --David Murray

PGP NSA ViaCrypt Phrack EFF #hack LOD/H 950 FBI MindVox ESN KC NUA murder
QSD Hacker DEFCON SprintNet MCI AT&T HoHoCon DNIC TRW CBI 5ESS KGB CIA
RSA Communist terrorist assassin encrypt 2600 NORAD missile explosive hack
phreak pirate drug bomb cocain payment smuggle A.P. bullets semi-auto stinger
revolution H.E.A.T. warheads porno kiddiesex export import customs deviant
bribe corrupt White House senator congressman president Clinton Gore bootleg
assasinate target ransom secret bluprints prototype microfilm agents mole
mafia hashish everclear vodka TnaOtmSc Sony marijuana pot acid DMT Nixon
yeltsin bosnia zimmerman crack knight-lightning craig neidorf lex luthor
kennedy pentagon C2 cheyenne cbx telnet tymenet marcus hess benson & hedges
kuwait saddam leader death-threat overlords police hitler furer karl marx
mark tabas agrajag king blotto blue archer eba the dragyn unknown soldier
catch-22 phoenix project biotech genetic virus clone ELINT intercept diplomat
explosives el salvador m-16 columbia cartel

Thread