1994-05-24 - Email firewall etc

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d9b64c281a84342e74687df343ab90309bb482fab038f283d10d00e1b55c6aaf
Message ID: <gate.yXiumc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Tue, 24 May 94 11:24:09 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 11:24:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Email firewall etc

Vincent.Cate@FURMINT.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU:
> Companies like the idea of firewall machines to protect the security of
> their internal nets.  I bet they would also like something called an
> "email-firewall".  Names are important. :-)  I think of the
> email-firewall as a slightly modified anonymous-remailer.

I haven't delved into the wide world of remailers out there, but I'd like a
remailer that encrypted, though did not necessarily anonymize, incoming mail.

I'm not really bothered about the NSA reading my mail. In fact, I'm not usually
concerned whether someone in New York, for instance read my mail. But I might
not want people closer to home (local sysadmins, etc) to read it. I'm sure many
others share this position.

The problem is that I can't ensure that people encrypt their mail to me. They
may not bother, or be unable. An alternative would be for them to send it to
a remailer, which, knowing my public key, would encrypt and forward it to me.

Comments?

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                     rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Voicemail +91 11 3760335; Vox/Fax/Data 6853410
H-34C Saket New Delhi 110017 INDIA

The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
                                          Support your right to bare arms!