1994-05-05 - Re: Keyserver service outRAGE

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dbfa25a9b82963ae150087e8c4e4cc036e31d7b210169a45d32ced37eed5a1d5
Message ID: <UhmLuN_00WBMQ_cGM3@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199405052200.AA18087@access1.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-05 23:18:41 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 May 94 16:18:41 PDT

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 16:18:41 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Keyserver service outRAGE

Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net> writes:

>Mac users are out in the cold.
>In the final analysis the MIT server is trying to compell behavior for
>no apparent reasons.
>
>The fact that this was a requirement for some "DEAL" really makes me
>wonder who in the administration was at the negotiating table and
>I really hope they are on the other side of the table in the next
>negotiation I have to do.
>
>OR
>
>They are indeed as sly as you say, and it is YOU who does not understand
>the true depth of the politics.

I don't see why RSA would waste their time trying to get one keyserver
to stop accepting keys from PGP 2.3a, when there are plenty of others
availiable. (And most people just put their keys in their finger/plan
files and don't bother to put them on the keyservers anyway.)  My first
guess would be that they wanted to create some incentive to use the
newer version of PGP.  But that's ridiculous - its legally licensed RSA
code is supposed to be the incentive to use it.  So playing games with
the keyserver is rather ridiculous.  However, RSA is well known for
irrational thought, such as complaining about PGP, but giving away RIPEM
for free.  So maybe this is just their twisted way of trying to gain
themselves (in their own minds) some publicity or credibility or
whatever.  However, I suspect RSA is doing this for legal/political
reasons too.  It's pretty hard for them to claim patent infringement
against anyone with all these people "infringing" on their patent by
using PGP, and them not doing anything about it.  If they can get people
to use RSAREF PGP, they don't set as strong a precedent for not
defending their patent.  It then might be easier for them to claim
patent infringement in other cases.  But that's just a guess.

Thread