1994-05-25 - My 2.3a Key is listed as a 2.6 on MIT

Header Data

From: Brian Beker <beker@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dda55c602fadad40fdbf7ad1a2850255388481284b6f9a063145683456b5e74a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9405251431.A13197-0100000@netcom7>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 May 94 14:17:48 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian Beker <beker@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 14:17:48 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: My 2.3a Key is listed as a 2.6 on MIT

On the WWW I went over to Brian LaMacchia's announced new keyserver and
looked myself up.

I was amazed to see that my 2.3a key now carries a 2.6 version number and
lists an 8-bit key ID.  The key ID is identical to the old one with two
new characters up front.

I have never ordered 2.6 because I'm satisfied with 2.3a and rely on it
for communications with people outside the US.  Does this bizarre
"upgrading" mean that my key, as downloaded from that server, will
function as a 2.6 key and become incompatible with 2.3n versions after
the September 1st deadline?

And what are the other implications of the keyserver evidently
automatically changing version numbers and ID's on public keys previously
resident on the list?  I am bothered by seeing my key differ in any way
from the way I originally generated it.

Brian Beker

Thread