1994-05-31 - Re: Detweiler’s motivations

Header Data

From: whitaker@dpair.csd.sgi.com (Russell Whitaker)
To: Eli Brandt <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: dffd229d7d987d1974557defdcdb6bb68cadfe508a4c79c213675b59dcb868b4
Message ID: <9405310833.ZM26551@dpair.csd.sgi.com>
Reply To: <9405310059.AA25238@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-31 15:35:36 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 31 May 94 08:35:36 PDT

Raw message

From: whitaker@dpair.csd.sgi.com (Russell Whitaker)
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 08:35:36 PDT
To: Eli Brandt <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Detweiler's motivations

On May 30,  5:58pm, Eli Brandt wrote:
> Subject: Re: Detweiler's motivations
> Karl said:
> > I agree it is difficult to determine Detweiler's motivations; I've
> > carried on quite civil email exchanges with him... but the posts from
> > tmp@netcom.com are quite bizzare.
>
> He's still mostly normal in e-mail.  However, I think it's best to be
> careful what you say.  I once responded to a question of his about
> actual instances of PSEUDOSPOOFING; I mentioned a user here who spent
> some time replying to himself on rec.music.industrial.  His response
> was something along the lines of "hee hee you're a tentacle", and
> now look what he's doing to talk.politics.crypto et al....

I had a similar thing happen to: Detweiler sent me private email some months
back, in some apparent urgency, asking my opinion on "pseudospoofing", as "a
director of the Extropy Institute".  I replied that I wasn't in the business -
as an ExI director or otherwise - of having an opinion on everything.

This seemed to really bother him.  He emailed me back, expressing his surprise
that I didn't drop everything and respond to his clarion call.  I'm told -
though I didn't find out until a few days ago - that I too ended up being
listed as a "tentacle".  How amusing.

> Hal's analysis seems plausible to me.  This whole self-reply cascade
> has got to be some kind of surreal propaganda maneuver.

Or a serious local loopback problem.

--
Russell Earl Whitaker			    whitaker@csd.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics Inc.