1994-05-17 - Re: Fixing pgp 2.6

Header Data

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
To: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Message Hash: ea2d4ee1b65c6fa5d974993688fa166aaeebe46205eb3d413c55ae47c8763d17
Message ID: <199405171425.KAA00347@orchard.medford.ma.us>
Reply To: <199405171200.IAA04846@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-17 14:42:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 May 94 07:42:27 PDT

Raw message

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 07:42:27 PDT
To: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Subject: Re:  Fixing pgp 2.6

   The thing is, though, that PGP 2.5 *doesn't* infringe on the patent,
   because of the use of RSAREF.

I think the broad silence from MIT and RSADSI on the subject of PGP
2.5 after the initial announcement means that this was a matter of
debate and that there were some serious negotiations going on between
the two.  I hope this means that the 2.5/2.6 time-delayed
incompatibility is a bone thrown to RSADSI to get them to support
*some* version of PGP.. which means that everyone in the U.S. (except
the government) will be happy afterwards.

A comment I heard from someone close to the situation was that the
2.5->2.6 format changes will be *very* small, and will be publically
documented in an "ITAR-proof" document.

					- Bill

Thread