1994-05-03 - Re: Security Consult. Needed

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Ed Carp <ecarp@netcom.com>
Message Hash: ece42fcd7f50f65fd434d02926e7145149df9f7e4ed7ae2407ec353fe5f3efb7
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9405021642.A8461-b100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9405020947.A28464-0100000@netcom10>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-03 01:51:18 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 May 94 18:51:18 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 94 18:51:18 PDT
To: Ed Carp <ecarp@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Security Consult. Needed

On Mon, 2 May 1994, Ed Carp wrote:

> You mean, marketing PGP to criminals?

Criminals are people too.

> Be careful with this line of reasoning.  If you market PGP to a crook for
> the explicit purpose of keeping his illegal activities hidden from the
> cops, you violate at least two different laws.  It's like selling lock
> picks to a known burglar.  You could be prosecuted for conspiracy, aiding
> and abetting, and whatever they call interference with a police
> investigation nowadays.

I know.  That is why it should be done using a secure marketing channel.
One could probably get away with handing copies out on the street as well.
 Probably protected activity.  You wouldn't get many hits that way,
however.  ("Hits" defined as crypto in the hands of people who can figure
out how to use it.

Generally, neither unlicensed gambling nor the unlicensed retail
pharmacutical trade are activities disapproved of by the readers of this
list.  On the other hand, government enforcement actions directed at
individuals practicing those trades *are* disapproved of.

In any case, I have developed a protocol that would allow the sale of
contraband with almost no risk to the seller and reduced risk to the
buyer.  It's based on modern drop shipping techniques.  I intend to
publish same when/if tobacco is criminalized.

DCF

"The culture of the nets is unavoidably libertarian because all other
political relationships involve the threat of deadly force and deadly
force is hard to transmit via fiberoptic cables." -- (Me)

"Do as I say or I'll shoot you right through this telephone." -- (Not me)

"The libertarian culture of the nets will transfer to the physical world
since people will be spending more and more time in the (functional) free
society of the nets and will not enjoy the restrictions they have to
suffer in the physical parts of their lives.  This will irritate them and
the nets will provide them with the tools to relieve the irritation..."
-- (Me)

Thread