1994-05-05 - Chill out…. was Re: Keyserver service outRAGE

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: edc4a26e827c40579f6ca45b55266e6e9879e6d0af62f32618460d953426f7bd
Message ID: <70297.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 May 94 16:34:35 PDT

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 16:34:35 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Chill out.... was Re: Keyserver service outRAGE

  "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>  writes:
> Rather than everyone freaking out about 2.5, why not just wait a few
> hours until the FTP site is announced and look at the thing for
> ourselves?
>
> Myself, I'm running on the assumption that this is a good thing,
> because now PGP is completely legal in the U.S., and doubtless a PGP
> thats legal overseas using a library compatible with RSAREF will
> appear within days of release.

Amen to this! Wait a week, and this might be a great thing. If not, keep
using 2.3a.

I know that Jim Bidzos was interested in having a "pgp compatible" program
that started with rsaref and was legal and free. I know because I asked
him about liscensing last spring. He pointed me to an effort that
professor Jeffery Schiller (pgp key 0C4EE1 (jis@mit) on the usual servers)
was coordinating. I exchanged a few messages with a student up there,
then got lost in GMU work and lost track. I think the student did
something else, like crack RSA-129. But there are lots of students
at schools like MIT and GMU.

I sure hope this can provide a cloud free PGP for broke students.

Lets drop this thread for while, ok?

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell@cs.gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread