1994-05-17 - Re: FBI decryption capability / MSDOS disk wipe question

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
Message Hash: f735c7ec707bbe00feed35c0710ad015f40198a2d529e0c9de6c3a54221e70af
Message ID: <199405171235.AA14055@access1.digex.net>
Reply To: <199405171133.EAA29354@netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-17 12:35:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 May 94 05:35:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 05:35:55 PDT
To: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
Subject: Re: FBI decryption capability / MSDOS disk wipe question

Harry Bartholomew scripsit

> > A few moments ago I uploaded a file called "hyperdsk.zip" to the soda
 (cwrc??)
> > site in the incoming directory.
> >
> > My understanding is that this is a disk utility program with some
 encryption
> > option.
> >
> > It is my hope that someone will take a look at the executable and try to
> > discover what method of encryption is used.  I suspect DES, but that is a
 wild
> > guess without the slightest basis in evidence.

>     At three sites around the world the hyperdsk.zip file (204,864 bytes)
>     contains only the .exe without any documentation.

Someone suggested this might merely be a diskcacheing program without any
encryption ability at all.

It is entirely possible that I am mistaken about the programs name, and
have seized on hyperdsk.zip erroniously.

Does anyone recall a program of similar sounding title in MSDOS land
which supported encryption?

Again, though I cannot really put a finger on it until the method is
identified, it seems this will shed a good deal of light into federal law
enforcement cryptanalysis abilities.

-uni- (Dark)

--
073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread