1994-06-09 - Re: PGP in Australia

Header Data

From: mgream@acacia.itd.uts.edu.au (Matthew Gream)
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Message Hash: 14106d5a87085fe0324568f3278d0d9308a1a2c083c0612f35eac26e2d1bc0cd
Message ID: <9406090204.AA26833@acacia.itd.uts.EDU.AU>
Reply To: <gate.FVBmNc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-09 02:02:08 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 19:02:08 PDT

Raw message

From: mgream@acacia.itd.uts.edu.au (Matthew Gream)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 19:02:08 PDT
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Subject: Re: PGP in Australia

"rishab@dxm.ernet.in" wrote:

> Unless Australia forbids _importing_ crypto, not a crime. PGP 6 is the MIT

There are no restrictions on importing crypto into Australia, there are
some on export (hardware only) due to COCOM.

ObBtw, I recently queried our Attorney-General's department on this
topic, along with, inter alia, questions relating to whether Clipper
like systems are of interest to authorities in Australia. The reply,
the AG's Security Division, was that `I understand that encryption is
not an issue' -- but he acknowledged they'd been following the US
controversy.

I'm still waiting for some replies back from another Government Dept
and have a few other avenues to chase up, when I do I'll make available
the information (if this particular geographic oddity is of interest
to anyone ?).

Matthew.

--
Matthew Gream