1994-06-13 - Re: DNA

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Mats Bergstrom <matsb@sos.sll.se>
Message Hash: 1892cc6ba211b1a1d14909a13f7158df28790478534c4f4ad934de63ca40692e
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9406131412.A17525-0100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.85.9406131137.A7527-0100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-13 18:19:36 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 11:19:36 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 11:19:36 PDT
To: Mats Bergstrom <matsb@sos.sll.se>
Subject: Re: DNA

On Mon, 13 Jun 1994, Mats Bergstrom wrote:

> Databases of fingerprints and retina-images might still have a future
> for specialized applications but DNA-typing (why not on a simple blood
> sample at birth) combined with a fixed social security number valid for
> life will probably become a widely used method for governments to control
> the identity of their serfs. Even without legislation stating compulsory

Charles Osgood was also talking in his CBS Sunday Morning lead yesterday
about the Infobahn that we will soon all be issued 1 "telephone" number
at birth.  The Christians are also going on about these control measures
because they match the "number of the beast" prophecy.

The problem with all of these control fears are that they are based on
old technology.  THe authorities can try and work with identity control
but software agents are people too.  Ever since the Trust was invented in
England under common law, entities have been created and become "human"
actors.  (On my "some day" list is an article on Trusts - The First
Software Agents.)  Likewise corporations.

What good does it do to control (some) meat people if each person can
spawn a hundred agents (often outside the jurisdiction) which can
perfectly legally act on their behalf.

I know it will be possible to force these agents to be linked to humans
but that would only be at birth.  No control is possible over who has the
codes to control the software agents of the future.  Additionally, all
government controls on software agents are dependent upon businesses
willingly turning away (unregistered) willing customers.  Hard to enforce
on the nets.

DCF

Thread