1994-06-24 - Re: PGP is the product of the week!

Header Data

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
To: jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us
Message Hash: 2e598c5ff246e8043560c48194c50678907c874815927ba7668871b76d4a0d4a
Message ID: <199406241307.AA18555@access2.digex.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 06:08:00 PDT

Raw message

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 06:08:00 PDT
To: jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us
Subject: Re: PGP is the product of the week!

>> 4.  Mentioned earlier... "Attack the NSA budget".  This can be a win and a
>> loose since a smaller budget could lower our countries defenses.  It is
>> possible that an attack on the budget would get them to lay off without any
>> real action needing to be taken.
>     This isn't truly an issue. The NSA had it's hey-day during the Cold
>War.  Now that that's over, and the same level of effort can be attuned to
>fewer enemies, one would think that they don't NEED a bigger budget.

"Fewer" enemies? Yugoslavia is now split into at least 5 pieces. Before we
only needed to monitor the line from Moscow to Tito. All the orders came
down this line and Yugoslavia did what they were told, more or less. No one
in the US had to seriously wonder about the differences between Bosnia, Serbia,
Croatia etc... We didn't need to monitor the different governments in the
different regions.

The ex-SU is now split into too many pieces for me to count. Some of them
have nuclear weapons that they don't want to turn over. Others have military
ships. Before, it was enought to have a good presence in Moscow. Now you
need to be in Kiev, Lvov, Talinn, etc...

North Korea, the Mid East and Cuba are the only places that still need the
same amount of attention that they needed during the Cold War. This is
because they're already maxed out.

>                                        --Jeff
>--
>  ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|
>  ==    ==  -=    | faster, hypo-allergenic, AND politically correct .sig.  |
>====    ======    | Now with a new fresh lemon scent!                       |

Thread