1994-06-17 - Re: swipe working on infinity.c2.org

Header Data

From: Jef Poskanzer <jef@ee.lbl.gov>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 450cc2d3e3024e3c80123a9d8f491c0b87f33ab3c763f3fdd702d16227c1a748
Message ID: <199406171524.IAA00619@hot.ee.lbl.gov>
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 08:24:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Jef Poskanzer <jef@ee.lbl.gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 08:24:33 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: swipe working on infinity.c2.org

I got one of the disks.  Amusing disclaimers on the back.  Haven't
tried reading it yet.

When I talked to Phil Karn months ago about IP encryption, he was
talking about encrypting each packet independently - I guess you have
to do that with IP since it's not a reliable protocol.  But it sounded
a little risky to me - maybe vulnerable to attack via known bits
at the start of each encrypted section.  Encrypting at the TCP
level would allow inter-packet mixing, but then you miss all the
UDP protocols such as (old) NFS.

Maybe you could post a quick summary of the encryption mode used?
---
Jef

Thread