1994-06-10 - Re: Time Locks– Re: Delayed self-encrypting messages

Header Data

From: dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4ff832e8b3ea6bf97c88500b5b1a0a64f0fe18ad112cd09c706071d391b62ced
Message ID: <9406102113.AA07419@runner.utsa.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 14:12:58 PDT

Raw message

From: dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 14:12:58 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Time Locks-- Re: Delayed self-encrypting messages

(Timelock algorithm deleted)

---

That is a good way for locking it up for a while, but if it is really
time sensitive, the use of parallel key guessing machines would stick a
sock in this method.

Here are some (non crypto) alternatives that you can use if you want to
delay giving out the key after posting the cyphertext of the message:

1:  Give the key to a trusted party, like your attorney to give out.
2:  Find some way of getting the key lost via transport via SMTP daemons.  If
    a host gets mail regularly via a UUCP connection, bounce it X times off
    that host.
3:  Get the key "lost" in snail mail by this route.  Mail it to a friend or
    a neutral party (Many copies if you may be snuffed in the process, to
    many people, and make "smokescreen" mails too).  This would only work
    for messages with a short delay (24-48 hours).
4:  (Very farfetched, but I am running out of ideas)  Use a laser to bounce
    the key off a far planet or some body and the light travelling to there
    and back may give a decent delay.  I do not know how you would get a
    coherent message back though.

BTW:  The time-lock idea sounds good, the mail list driver echoed it twice :)

PS:  Anyone have any better ideas for a secure crypto way of doing this? ;)

Thread