1994-06-18 - Re: ANOTHER CELLULAR VIC

Header Data

From: Jason C Miller <jmdk+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 63a5cb332597c0c5d9040132e9c30feb71ab4f23c2ed593e67b244c5a237555b
Message ID: <Ei0pile00WB65bzW58@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199406181924.MAA12284@netcom11.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-18 20:42:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Jun 94 13:42:15 PDT

Raw message

From: Jason C Miller <jmdk+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 94 13:42:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ANOTHER CELLULAR VIC

This is kind of offtopic, but I wanted to correct something.

At least from what I know, if you place a 911 call from a cellular, it
doesn't pass any information on the phone number (or car) at all.  This
was originally posted on from the telcom groups.  I later tested it in
some respect.  E911 uses ANI to get your number, so I did a check on ANI
from a cellular.  The number ANI gets is a call-out-only line from the
cellular MTSO.

So how'd they find him? Your friend comes along with you on your run
from the cops.  You take his bronco (dumb move #1), you use HIS cellular
phone not a payphone (dumb move #2), you place long calls so the FCC can
track you in one of those nifty vans you only see in LA and NYC (dumb
move #3), and you call people who the government would expect you to
call (dumb move #4).  Well, with a simple addition they could have the
phone company add ANI to all his family/friends. Then they would know
its a cellular, and knowing that, they kinda guessed who owned it.  I
don't give them that much credit though, probably a tip from a
friend/family told the LAPD/FBI/CIA/NSA/FCC/BLAH that he was calling
from his friends Bronco. Then its a matter of waiting for another
cellular call. At that point, you'd know the tower (about a one mile
radius) and then you'd could easy send cops or a trianglulation van to
hunt him down with a 99% sucess rate.

Why anyone would attempt to run like this baffles me.  Unless he was
just stalling for time, he did things I think my little sister even
knows NOT to do in that situation.

Once again, sorry for the blurb, lets get back to cryptography.

Smiles,
jason

-
In the end we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we
understand, we will understand only what we are taught.
-
|\\|        Jason Miller             |//| jmdk@cmu.edu      CALL (412)/325-2036
|//| Mathematics/Information Systems |\\| jcm@sei.cmu.edu   PAGE (800)/901-0840
|\\|   Carnegie Mellon University    |//| dyn@cs.cmu.edu    FAX  (412)/268-5758