1994-06-17 - Timestamping revisited

Header Data

From: dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7fe38abaa58320d7c91fdab8789f5f3c478cbdff8599ac12c5839e7eea2afddc
Message ID: <9406171530.AA22292@runner.utsa.edu>
Reply To: <9406171528.AB22232@runner.utsa.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-17 15:30:09 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 08:30:09 PDT

Raw message

From: dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 08:30:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Timestamping revisited

I looked at that timestamper program, and hopefully this is the way that
I will timestamp items.

First I will create, and give out a program (after checking export and
other laws) that does MD5, MD4, CRC-32, and SHS hashing to an output
file, given input.  Then, I will publish the output file in two newspaper
ads (classifieds).  Then, later when I publish this program, people will
be able to tell the date by the date of the paper, and have a program
to do this.  Plus, I will include a public-key signed signature from PGP
if my program ever is thrown into doubt.

As a second measure, I will print the file out, seal it in an envelope,
put the date on it with tape, and have that and the paper with the
hash on it notarized.

What holes are in this scheme?

PS:  This is for a program  I am writing that I want to keep secret, but
     don't want it stolen if I license it to someone...

Thread