1994-06-08 - Re: Crime and punishment in cyberspace - 1 of 3

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Message Hash: 80369b9df8faacc8f4b6fa38a41cddd9141b9e5570570b22ae4a762cacca7cdf
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9406080905.A23938-0100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <gate.9PemNc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-08 13:27:27 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 06:27:27 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 06:27:27 PDT
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Subject: Re: Crime and punishment in cyberspace - 1 of 3

On Wed, 8 Jun 1994 rishab@dxm.ernet.in wrote:

> Uhh. When I started this thread with "Cyberspace is by nature crime-free," I
> meant crime as what at least _I_ perceive as morally wrong enough to justify
> the intervention of society as a whole, usually represented by functionaries
> of the state - police, judiciary, etc.; and NOT what may or not be wrong in
> the eyes of existing law, which as we all know, is an ass.

I like to use the Common Law distiction between Malum in Se and Malum
Prohibitum.  ("wrong because it is wrong" and "wrong because it is
prohibited.")  There are lots of "legislative crimes" that are creatures
of their time and place.  Cyberspace is a hard place to commit real
wrongs in.  Those of us of a more libertarian bent think that the major
benefit of cyberspace is that it makes certain crimes like "legislation"
less effective.  Note that Common Law crimes were "discovered" by judges
without legislatures.

DCF

"Was there ever anything so impolite as a group of guys sitting around
ruling others?"

Thread