1994-06-03 - Re: Black Eye for NSA, NIST, and Denning

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9f7d831b6af94b6b327e032e768023534a455876869d1dea2cb7e52eaeb7897a
Message ID: <9406031620.AA23064@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 09:21:11 PDT

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 09:21:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Black Eye for NSA, NIST, and Denning

Perry writes:
> > However, it can be done in advance, and you can conceivably reuse
> > forged LEAFs.
>
> I will point out something that I didn't quite understand myself but
> have since discussed with Matt Blaze in some detail -- LEAF checksums
> are tied to session keys. You CAN do this in advance but only if your
> key exchange will permit you to generate your session keys in advance, too
> Obviously, reusing forged LEAFs requires reusing session keys.

More precisely, as Steve's summary pointed out, it's tied to the IV,
which is tied to the session key.  (It makes sense - assuming the
descriptions of the LEAF contents are true, the only session key
component in the LEAF itself is encrypted with the chip-unique backdoor key,
and tying it to the IV accomplishes key-dependence, though they could
also use the session key externally from the LEAF.)

Unfortunately, most Clipperphones will probably use Diffie-Hellman
key exchange, since it reduces or eliminates the need for prearranged
public-key management (depending on whether they're using radio or
a medium that can be actively wiretapped), so precomputation will generally
not be usable.  I suppose some crude Diffie-Hellman implementations
might always use the same half-key for every conversation,
rather than generating a random one each time, and you could
precompute session keys for talking to them.

For email applications, however, most standards will probably use
sender-generated session keys, so it would be simple enough to
make secure Tessera mailers if you don't worry about
subliminal channels in the hash.

		Bill

Thread