1994-06-19 - Re: your mail

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: jef@ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer)
Message Hash: a07971fb95b67964bd7acc81305dd2e12317d485de42c85fef0c2541f3c6435c
Message ID: <199406191451.JAA01206@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <199406182312.QAA04517@hot.ee.lbl.gov>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-19 14:51:41 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Jun 94 07:51:41 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 94 07:51:41 PDT
To: jef@ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer)
Subject: Re: your mail

> >1.C How about if we take the hiss that you find between stations on an
> >FM receiver, and digitize them through a PC soundcard?
>
> Hmm.  And if an attacker discovers you're using this method, and
> decides to send out a signal on the same frequency?  You might find
> your "random" numbers are suddenly all zeros...
> ---
> Jef

Band hop. Build a variable modulo counter and use its output to reset its
modulo and hop the band around pseudo-randomly. Unless they know or stumble
on the particular design you are using it will be very difficult to track.

Since music, energy wise, approaches 1/f^2 it might be ok to even use the
actual stations.

Thread