1994-06-15 - Decline and Fall

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: c4a4e1ca6e7c9b863c290cb9e8bb5e8b25fbe3271bbf9db8ae5bc5e1efe4b01d
Message ID: <199406151931.AA11812@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 12:32:04 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 12:32:04 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Decline and Fall

Decline and Fall of the Nation State:

Tuesday's WSJ had an article on how private money market funds are
starting to jawbone foreign governments just like the World Bank used to.

Case cited was Fidelity Investments calling Mexican bank officials during
the Peso crisis after the recent assasination.  They said "we'll invest
another $18 billion (of ours and other fund's money) if you do what we say
and if not..."

DCF

"If they hadn't killed quite so many people, you'd almost have to feel
sorry for them."

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread