1994-06-05 - Re: Keep Out–The Journal of Electronic Privacy

Header Data

From: grendel@netaxs.com (Michael Handler)
To: adwestro@ouray.Denver.Colorado.EDU (Alan Westrope)
Message Hash: c76e1be1806749c712c80d5ef5a77d29a1e3f9ca302a855bcfec1b79daadb9aa
Message ID: <199406052231.SAA07719@access.netaxs.com>
Reply To: <cZZyjaa0iQnI065yn@ouray.denver.colorado.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-05 22:31:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jun 94 15:31:18 PDT

Raw message

From: grendel@netaxs.com (Michael Handler)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 94 15:31:18 PDT
To: adwestro@ouray.Denver.Colorado.EDU (Alan Westrope)
Subject: Re: Keep Out--The Journal of Electronic Privacy

> Odd, but my copy of the Constitution (w/amendments) doesn't even contain
> the word "privacy," let alone any mention of a "right to privacy."  (*Damn*
> these variorum editions!)  There is the Fourth Amendment, of course, but
> the right to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures is not
> synonymous with the right to privacy, IMO.
>
> I believe it was in Katz v. U.S. (1967) that the Supreme Court first
> enunciated the doctrine of a "reasonable expectation of privacy."  It's
> interesting that it took the advent of telecommunications to bring this
> issue to the fore -- Katz was a wiretapping case.  Of course,

	I was told/taught/have read that _Griswold v. Connecticut_
(1965?) was a key case in defining the "Constitutional Right to Privacy."
Briefly, Griswold was representing Planned Parenthood, and was
challenging a CT law that made it illegal to give information about birth
control to anyone except married couples. The Supremes said that this was
an undue invasion of privacy, and that there *was* a Constitutional right
to privacy. They neglected to specify exactly where it was, though. ;)
However, they suggested that it was held somewhere under the Ninth Amendment.

Of course, 'assert (Mike == LAWYER);' fails during runtime. YMMV.

--
Michael Brandt Handler					 <grendel@netaxs.com>
Philadelphia, PA, USA	       PGP v2.6 public key via server / finger / mail

Thread