1994-06-22 - Re: OJ`S CELL PHONE

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Message Hash: c939f96a448e6cfcb1b6cc36d31e7844cdda37a269733f898b516ef345024f1c
Message ID: <199406220857.BAA03608@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9406191648.AA02110@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-22 08:58:18 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 01:58:18 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 01:58:18 PDT
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: OJ`S CELL PHONE

>It may be that the phone can be "pinged" unbeknownst to the owner, but
>I'm fairly confident that if the phone is shut off, you're safe.  The
>truly paranoid might consider stowing the phone inside some sort of RF
>cage, I guess, or maybe just throw it out the window :-)

I should have added in my remarks about registration that one very
easy way to "ping" a cellular phone is to call it. If the phone is
powered on and hears the page, it will automatically acknowledge it on
the access channel (the mobile-to-base link that is also used to
request a mobile-originated call). This will certainly reveal the
mobile's location to the closest cell.

Phil

Thread