1994-06-09 - Re: (None)

Header Data

From: charles lewton <clewton@netcom.com>
To: Jeff Gostin <jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
Message Hash: c97fa9d93b8aba4dbe042f0a76c7a8e579e91a8ab04161ea2143006fc262f2b7
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9406081807.A7345-0100000@netcom5>
Reply To: <940608131840c0Gjgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-09 01:52:01 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 18:52:01 PDT

Raw message

From: charles lewton <clewton@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 18:52:01 PDT
To: Jeff Gostin <jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
Subject: Re: (None)

The last time I read anything on the subject, conspiracy exists when
any co-conspirator makes any action included in the planned event.

If no one makes the first move, no felony.  Make any action to complete
a step of the crime and you automatically become conspirators.

Even if the plan is to commit a misdemeanor, the conspiracy is a felony,
and one frowned upon by LE types.

Well, back to lurking.  It isn't often I have much to add to the group.
I do enjoy the exercise sifting through the distilled thoughts of a bright
bunch.

Chuck                                             clewton@netcom.com
					     E-mail for PGP 2.x
                                             public key

On Wed, 8 Jun 1994, Jeff Gostin wrote:

> Jim choate <ravage@bga.com> writes:
>
> >  For a group to comit conspiracy they have to actually do something other
> > than
> > just talk about it. For example, you and I are discussing robbing a bank over
> > lunch, nothing illegal about that. However(!), the instant you say "lets use
> > my car" or "I have a gun we can use" then you have committed conspiracy.
>      My (non-professional) understanding is that conspiracy just requires
> intent to commit a crime. Two people sitting around a table, throwing
> around hypothetics is no big deal. Two people, sitting around a table,
> making plans, OTOH, is.
>
> > It is my understanding that conspiracy is a felony even if the crime is a
> > misdemeanor...
> I think you're right, although I'm not sure I understand that rationale
> behind it...
>
>                                    --Jeff
> --
>   ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|
>   ==    ==  -=    | faster, hypo-allergenic, AND politically correct .sig.  |
> ====    ======    | Now with a new fresh lemon scent!                       |

Thread