1994-06-06 - PC Techniques June/July 1994 V5 #2

Header Data

From: NetSurfer <jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d8f68365e7d10e8dd61804cd9ae722ecb832e5883a65f51dac7fee257dccc7ab
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9406060653.B3946-c100000@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 10:04:25 PDT

Raw message

From: NetSurfer <jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 10:04:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PC Techniques June/July 1994 V5 #2

The above issue's cover page is on "Encryption - Key to a Secure Future"

It has several articles re encryption, and included the Wiley Books
section (which also had Applied Cryptography on the cover page of its
pull-out section) from which I quoted as a source for the book.

On the Editor's Notepad (Page 4) there are two paragraphs of note.

"If the cyberpunk {sic their spelling} crowd ever created a medal for mad
courage in the face of insuperable odds, that medal should go to John
Gilmore, who has just filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request
for _the entire Clipper encryption key database_, now being compiled by
the Feds for use in their demented Clipper system.  Gilmore and his
attorney have studied Clipper and the FOIA in detail and have found no
exemptions that would apply to the key database.  They've scratched
together some donations and are taking the government to court under FOIA
for refusing to release the database to them.

"The Feds always win, even if they have to break their own laws to do it.
Nevertheless, Gilmore & Co. may slow the project down some, and we can all
savor the irritation they will doubtless cause the Powers in the process

---

Also from the same page:

_No Code Overseas_

"Asinine Federal regulations concerning the export of cryptographic tech-
nology means that code diskettes for this issue destined for overseas
subscribers will not contain any of the encryption-related code.  Our
First Amendment prevents the Feds from censoring printed material in the
magazine, but software on diskette is not protected that way.  There's
nothing we can do.  Vote _against_ your representatives this fall,
regardless of party; that's the only thing that gets their attention.

On Page 6 Jeff Duntemann KG7JF has another full page re Clipper and gives
full and "express permission to freely print and distribute this editorial
electron- ically in the cause of defeating the Clipper initiative."

On page 12 they list the source as available on Compu$erve GO CLMFORUM
and see Lib 16.  Also Turbo User Group Library sells the PC Techniques
archive listing disks at 206-779-9508.

Who knows, they might slip up and have the code available there...

On page 24, Bruce Schneier has an article "Secret Sharing" - perhaps
if you ask you can get his OK to include it here.

Page 35 has an article on "Simple Encryption via XOR" by Mark R. Parker.
For those of you feeling the werewolf need to rip something apart in
an electronic feeding frenzy, this should keep you sated for a millisecond
or two... <hehe>

Also, in the June issue of Upside ("The Business Magazine for the Techno-
logy Elite" - their title), the Editor-In-Chief, Eric Nee,
has a commentary entitled "Keep Big Brother Out."  Guess what it is about,
kiddies...

Over the last few months I've been colleting articles on DSP's from the
many trade rags I get.  I'd be happy to send one copy to someone who
is seriously interested in this and willing to scan them in etc. to
share with like-minded CP'sters.

Aloha from Paradise {lost}

-NetSurfer

#include standard.disclaimer

==  =    = |James D. Wilson        |V.PGP 2.4:   512/E12FCD 1994/03/17 >
 "  "    " |P. O. Box 15432        |finger for key / Viacrypt Reseller  >
\"  "/  \" |Serendipitous Solutions|    Also NetSurfer@sersol.com      >

Thread