1994-06-03 - Re: LEAF forgery

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: VACCINIA@uncvx1.oit.unc.edu
Message Hash: de431a6569a7b9ed28c4bfb2444ad7496dec5bd37e0ee68aeac0883f03ce4e4f
Message ID: <9406031222.AA03843@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <01HD339SYNZ6001KXP@UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-03 12:23:41 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 05:23:41 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 05:23:41 PDT
To: VACCINIA@uncvx1.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: LEAF forgery

VACCINIA@uncvx1.oit.unc.edu says:
> It is indeed a great achievement to best the NSA at its own game. This hack
> allows secure transmission and closes the LEAF backdoor. However, this only
> strengthens my belief that they don't really need this LEAF access, can you
> say trapdoor?

Your belief is without evidence. Its a supposition. I'd say that the
NSA has a lot to lose by putting holes in Skipjack.

None the less, I wouldn't use Skipjack, because I don't trust things I
don't know the design of. Unless people can widely examine Skipjack
I'd say it isn't trustworthy.

There also is, of course, a very slim chance that they were silly
enough to make Skipjack intentionally weak. However, that isn't a
major factor IMHO.

Perry

Thread