1994-06-21 - Re: Keep Out–The Journal of Electronic Privacy

Header Data

From: John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org (John Schofield)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fbb8d4593becdfe6ecdd5dae69f31a314b99e6eb53050dc964628e172a2edc20
Message ID: <5124.2E06B196@mcws.fidonet.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 03:24:38 PDT

Raw message

From: John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org (John Schofield)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 03:24:38 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Keep Out--The Journal of Electronic Privacy

rr> About "Keep Out": you might want to be more precise in your blurbs.  As
rr> things stand, I'm leery of trusting anything I might see in
rr> your journal.

rr> RSA is not broken, as far as I know.  If you have verifiable details that
rr> it has, that'll be quite a scoop.  If you meant to say "the _factoring_ of
rr> RSA-129," well, you should have said that instead.

My apologies to the net.  RSA is certainly not broken, and I was aware of that
when this press release was written.  My word choice was sloppy.  In the
article, the information comes from people I have interviewed who have direct,
first-hand knowledge of the effort--people like Arjen Lenstra, who wrote the
software that made the factoring possible.

rr> >        *  An interview with Phil Zimmermann, including his thoughts on
rr> privacy in the digital age, export controls on cryptography, the
rr> copyright on RSA (the algorithm used in PGP), and information on his
rr> struggle with US Customs over exporting PGP

rr> A publisher, of all people, really needs to understand what a copyright
rr> is.  Note that we cannot copyright ideas, only our expression of those
rr> ideas.  Referring to a copyright on "the algorithm used in PGP" is
rr> nonsense.  Instead, PKP holds licensing rights to a system _patent_ on
rr> using RSA to perform public key encryption.

Again, I used sloppy language.  And again, my apologies.

This is certainly not the last mistake I will make.  There will be errors in
Keep Out.  However, I will do my damndest to make sure Keep Out remains as
accurate and unbiased as it can be.

And when I make mistakes, I trust Cypherpunks to let me know about them, so I
don't repeat the mistakes.  It's a damn sure bet I won't be making these two
errors again!

--John Schofield
--
: John Schofield - via mcws.fidonet.org - Public Access (213)256-8371
: ARPA/INTERNET: John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Thread