1994-06-13 - Anon posts (was irritating posts…)

Header Data

From: dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fca3ce55e0cbdcda211908f563c5dd9ad40ceb8c15c667976a8568e47a238c4a
Message ID: <9406131934.AA14320@runner.utsa.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 12:34:41 PDT

Raw message

From: dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 12:34:41 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Anon posts (was irritating posts...)

> From owner-cypherpunks@toad.com Mon Jun 13 14:23 CDT 1994
> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 12:17:00 -0700
> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
> Subject: Re: (None)
>
> At 12:50 PM 6/13/94 -0500, Jeff Gostin wrote:
> >dfloyd@runner.utsa.edu (Douglas R. Floyd) writes:
> >
> >> How rude is it for people to post (or mail to a mailing list) anon messages
> >> encrypted with someone's PGP key?  It makes it easy for the receiver to
> >> obtain it, but how irritating is it to people?
> >     Fairly. In fact, it's considered downright rude. It's like sitting
> >around a table of, say, 3 people, and whispering with someone next to you.
> >The first person is you -- you're sending the message. The second person
> >is your friend -- he's recieving it. The third is me -- I'm just watching
> >two people whispering. Further, newsgroups are a very inappropriate place
> >to send private mail for propogation.
>
> Might it be appropriate, though, to create an alt group for that purpose?
> Sort of the digital equivalent of putting "coded" messages in the personals
> section of your favorite newspaper's classified section. You know--"John,
> you have five days to pay up" means to meet at the Ritz for dinner next
> Thursday, and "I love you, Sally" means to run for the border.
>
> But far, far more effective digitally.
>
> Could be especailly useful for people "in the field," considering how many
> universities and other places permit Usenet posting without an account, so
> long as your IP is considered local--easier to get access.
>
> >                                      --Jeff
>
> b&
>
> --
> Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
>  net.proselytizing (write for info): Protect your privacy; oppose Clipper.
>  Voice concern over proposed Internet pricing schemes. Stamp out spamming.
>  Finger ben@tux.music.asu.edu for PGP 2.3a public key.

That is a good idea, creating a special USENET group for coded messages.
Alt.security.coded.messages would be a good moniker.

Personally, I am not familar with gopherholes or message havens, so I do not
know how good they are, and can log telnets in.  It is harder to log nntp
reads of alt.security.coded.messages or such.  If an admin is very nosy, they
could be snooping your terminal and packets as well, though...

Another idea could be an anonymous FTP site, but someone can go and delete
all the messages on there, and ftps are logged as well...

Any better ideas on being able to anon-post and anon-read with as few
ways for a third party to log as possible?

(This is for my curiosity only, as I rarely have anything worth saying that
needs this much protection.)

Thread