1994-06-22 - Re: RSA Key Size & QP

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Roger Bryner <bryner@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
Message Hash: fe4aba8245666a458737cc6e857500dbcdbc42929e6be2f422162a4db7f5f761
Message ID: <9406221938.AA03460@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9406221355.A20389-0100000@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-22 19:39:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:39:17 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:39:17 PDT
To: Roger Bryner <bryner@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: RSA Key Size & QP

Roger Bryner says:
> I would say this can be extended and made a general rule.  You should
> always take some reasonable ammount of time(say 5 min) to encrypt your
> most sensitive messages, even if you have a 12 crays and a connection
> machene.

First of all, you behave as though time is not a factor. If it takes
five minutes to start every phone conversation you have, well, you've
just given people a big incentive not to use any encryption at all.

Second of all, all this rubble bouncing is insane. The NSA or whomever
isn't stupid. They will not attack you where you are strong -- they
will attack you where you are weak. Do YOU do all your typing in a
faraday cage? No? Then why the hell bother?

Lastly, you behave as though cost is not a factor. Well, you don't
live in the real world, then. Cost is ALWAYS a factor.

Perry

Thread